Considerations around captures and playing on previously occupied spots,
including Ko fights, are quite complex and they are indeed behind the
EXPTIME-hardness of Go (Robson's result).

On the other hand, there are meaningful strategic choices to be made even
in the ladders or first-capture go cases. Unlike ko-fights, these aspects
are not difficult enough to lead to EXPTIME-hardness, but they are enough
for PSPACE-hardness.

The paper by Crâşmaru and Tromp shows that Ladders are PSPACE-hard and
Section 3.4 in
https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01256660/file/gocomplexities_draft.pdf tackles
first-capture go. (NB: the proof in this paper of ours is flawed, but I'm
confident it could be fixed if one spent the time, and hopefully the
approach as currently described can give you intuition in why ko-fights may
not be necessary for PSPACE-hardness)

Abdallah