> White can start one ladder as a ko threat to take back the middle ko, and
> black will then take the top ko.

Thank you John for verifying the problem!

I claim that White cannot  use the ladders as a ko thread because:
- if W plays R4 as a ko threat then B responds with S4
- if next W takes a ko back on the board then B kills the group
locally by playing S6: the left ladder is no longer a ladder and if W
gets out of the right ladder then the bottom W group ends in 2
liberties and B can capture it

Is the above reasoning sound?

--Marcel