Remember, patents are a STRATEGIC mechanism as well as a legal mechanism.
As soon as a patent is publically filed (for example, as utility, and
following provisional), the text and claims in the patent immediately
become prior art globally as of the original filing date REGARDLESS of
whether the patent is eventually approved or rejected. IOW, a patent filing
is a mechanism to ensure no one else can make a similar claim without
risking this filing being used as a possible prior art refutation.

I know this only because it is a strategy option my company is using in an
entirely different unrelated domain. The patent filing is defensive such
that someone else cannot make a claim and take our inventions away from us
just because the coincidentally hit near our inventions.

So considering Google's past and their participation in the OIN, it is very
likely Google's patent is ensuring the ground all around this area is
sufficiently salted to stop anyone from attempting to exploit nearby patent
claims.

Respectfully,

Jim O'Flaherty