Those are the points not well understood commonly.

A patent application does two things.  1. Apply for an eventual granting of
the patent, 2. Makes what's described in it a public knowledge as of the
date of the filing.
Patent may be functionally meaningless.  There may be no one to sue.  And
these are huge issues for the point No.1.  However, a strategic patent
applicants file patent applications for the point No.2 to deny any
possibility of somebody else obtaining a patent.  (A public knowledge
cannot be patented.)

Many companies are trying to figure out how to patent DCNN based AI, and
Google may be saying "Nope, as long as it is like the DeepMind method, you
can't patent it."   Google is likely NOT saying "We are hoping to obtain
the patent, and intend to enforce it."

Despite many differences in patent law from a country to another, two basic
purposes of patent are universal: 1. To protect the inventor, and 2. To
promote the use of inventions by making the details a public knowledge.