Hi!

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 03:17:41PM -0700, Peter Drake wrote:
> I'm writing up some "how to play Go" flyers and and want to make sure I'm
> being precise. How is this for a definition of a [single-point] eye?

  If this is supposed to teach beginners play Go, I think precise
definitions are inadequate - I'd propose to just show how it *looks*
like on a diagram or two.

  I typically start by explaining how capturing works in general, then
pointing out that one of the liberties may be "inner" (a single point
eye, possibly in a corner), then showing that when a group has two such
inner liberties that we call "eyes", it cannot be captured anymore even
if otherwise surrounded, and we call that "life"

  So the question is what actually is your aim when explaining eyes.
If it is to explain life and death, maybe it's easier to explain it
directly and let the "eye" term fall out of that naturally, rather
than starting with it.

  (Of course, there is a lot of special cases - starting with seki
and then continuing in the eventual direction of moonshine life; but
I think it's obvious that it's best to start easy. :-)

                                Petr Baudis