On Apr 18, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Constance Warner wrote:

Guess it boils down to: would you rather talk on your cellphone, or eat? Having knocked off most of the native pollinators with pesticides, we're
dependent on bees to pollinate most crops that aren't wind-pollinated.
The disappearance of bees is a serious problem, not a joke.  Nearly
every non-grain food we eat depends on bee pollination. So if we don't
want to live on a diet of corn flakes (corn is wind-pollinated), we may
have to make a few choices.

Left unexplained in these studies, however, is the question of WHY NOW.
Cellphones have been around for quite some time; Colony Collapse
Syndrome (bee disappearance) is very recent--it's only occurred in the
last year or two.  So why is this happening now?  Has the number of
cellphone towers reached some critical threshold?

It likely is not just cell phone transmissions. In the past few years, really accelerating in the last five or so, we have seen huge migrations of public safety radio communications to frequencies that are suspected of being problematic for our bees. These new public safety, as well as private sector frequencies of operation, need more transmitter sites than they required at their prior lower frequencies. Higher frequencies do not have the same range that lower frequency transmission have, given a certain power level. Microwave, or near-microwave signals are, for practical purposes, line-of-sight. That means more powerful signals are needed at more points within the geographic area of intended service. Our atmosphere is quickly, in the last few years, becoming saturated with microwave frequencies, which are the ones in question.

  Steve