It took me mucho effort to get grub setup.  I wanted to boot Linux (Suse) by
default
but have a choice to switch to Windows at boot time.  I did not know about
bootpart or the problem with remove the Linux drive.  It did finally work
though.
-P

Vicky Staubly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Sun, 20 May 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I recently acquired a 2nd hard drive to add to my screwdriver shop
> system that currently boots XP Pro from drive 0.
>
> I would like to install Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio 7.x
> (http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntustudio7.04) on the
> 2nd drive, and be given a choice which OS to boot when the machine is
> powered up or restarted.
[...]
> Any recommended precautions or course of action I should take?  I hope
> this is a stupid question, as I wish this to be easy!

Not a dumb question. Often, the solution for multi-OS systems will
be to install Linux's boot-loader (LILO in older versions, GRUB in
newer systems). However, GRUB doesn't live entirely in the boot sector
(it uses some files and code in your Linux partition), so I know from
experience (my work PC) that if you remove the drive with Linux on it,
GRUB won't be able to work, and you won't be able to boot Windows either.

So, I recommend you install Linux with GRUB in the Linux partition itself
(not the MBR)... it will ask during the install... and then use a free
program called "bootpart" ( http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm ) to
add Linux to the Windows boot menu. See the bootpart web page for more
instructions (though its instructions mention LILO, just mentally
substitute GRUB).

--
Vicky Staubly       http://www.steeds.com/vicky/        [EMAIL PROTECTED]