The change is in the BIOS not the drives AFAIK.

Michael Fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 5/21/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> I am now glad I asked this question.  Ideally, I would like to retain
> the ability to boot the OS on the "good" drive should one of the drives
> fail.  Does what you describe allow for this?

You are changing the way the computer boots, so expect _something_
to touch the existing drive.  If you want the current drive's boot
options left alone untouched, how about these options ...

1) Install a virtual environment such as Parallels or vmware server
and that will give you a virtual machine where you can install another
OS (even another copy of windows).  From my experience, though, running
a Linux distro as your base OS and running vmware server on Linux then
installing Windows in a virtual machine gives better performance.

2) If you only want to try out Linux, you can completely remove the
Windows drive and replace that with your spare drive.  Install Linux
and test/break that installation as you wish and your Windows disk
is safe sitting on the shelf.

Perhaps the best thing to do is try #2.  Understand how the disk
partitioning works during the first installation.  Kick the tires;
try to break things.  Try to install VMware server for Linux (#1
above).  Keep good notes.

Then blow that installation away.  Start over; partition the disk into
two (or more); install Windows (you still have the Windows installation
media, right?) in the second partition; then install Linux in the first
partition.  It will install Grub with the boot menu with Linux and
Windows options.  If you like this, keep this installation.  As a
bonus, you now have a brand new Windows installation without
accumulated crud, and you can add the original drive as a slave and copy
all your data back.