This is the setup that I had.  Windows really prefers no extra bootloader files
on its drive, so setup up drive 1 as the MBR is the way to go.  It is not at
all an
annoying way to switch drive once working properly.

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On 5/21/07, Michael Fernando
wrote:

> 2) If you only want to try out Linux, you can completely remove the
> Windows drive and replace that with your spare drive.  Install Linux
> and test/break that installation as you wish and your Windows disk
> is safe sitting on the shelf.

Would something like the following work?

Specify drive 1 (via the BIOS) as the boot drive, have the MBR created
there and set up GRUB to boot Ubuntu off drive 1 and Windows off drive
0.  If drive 0 is respecified as the boot drive, then it just boots
Windows.

The most likely reason I can think of for this not to work is that
Windows may not like being booted this way.

Any chance of success?