As I said, I respect your opinion.

FYI, the IEEE requires me to assign anything that I publish in their journals (for me, a lot) to them or I don't get published in their journals.

Tom Piwowar wrote:
I am reluctant to enter into this discussion, since I am conflicted...
Were I 40 years younger, I would completely agree with Tom Piwowar...
But over the years I have seen many changes...
rson whose interests spans both engineering and artistic I see copyright and patent law from more than one perspective... (As an example: many large engineering firms require all employees to assign in advance all copyright or patent rights to their employer from anywhere to ten years to life... In face of this one-sided perversion of copyright and patent law, about which the individual can't do much, what is to be done? I no longer believe that all law regarding copyright and patents should be
obeyed...

Start by googling on "The Banality of Evil." Then tell me how your approach to ethics will stop you from getting there.

If "many large engineering firms require all employees to assign in advance all copyright" then the proper thing for the engineer to do is tell their employer "no" and find a different firm to work for. If engineers just go along and sign anything they are enabling banal evil. The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) has put a lot of effort into this and urges its members not to sign such agreements. In the long term it is not a good idea to work for a firm that is unethical and evil. For example, engineers who work for unethical firms often find themselves fired one day before they qualify for a pension.

In a similar vein, the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) publishes a handbook on professional practices that discusses things you do not sign. When Bill Gates bought the photo stock company, Corbis, he caused an uproar among professional photographers with draconian contract terms. I personally was in such a situation with the Computer Guys Show. WAMU presented me with a contract I saw as unethical, trying to squelch an investigation similar to the recent news story about the Smithsonian's top management. That's why I'm no longer doing that show.

I don't think there is such a thing as being "just a little bit evil." Is someone who murders two people twice as evil as someone who murders just one? Is it not evil for a manger to approve using a toxic chemical in toothpaste or for a worker to add the chemical? How about the guy with the XDR TB who ignored the CDC's admonition not to travel? Following your "sophisticated" logic I think we are all in trouble. Evil is banal.

Returning to the specifics of the EULA: There are several versions of the product selling at different prices. The different versions have different capabilities. You want the capabilities of the more expensive version, but don't want to pay more. So you buy the less expensive version and enable some of the capabilities you did not pay for. Is this wrong, you bet it is. Is there a consequence, you bet there is.

To argue that it is okay to break the EULA because the vendor is a convicted predatory monopolist has no ethical standing. Did enough people raise a stink when the court-ordered penalities against the convicted predatory monopolist were set aside. No, you accepted banal evil. You made your bed, now you have to sleep in it.

I never buy photo stock from Corbis. I avoid software from convicted predatory monopolists as much as I can. If we all avoided software from convicted predatory monopolists it would only take a few years for things to get better. With competition and alternatives you would probably not be facing an EULA that you find so objectionable. Yes you have a problem. You should work to solve that problem. But you should do it by ethical means. That will solve the real problem.