All of the connection services in Network Connections were turned on
[and fighting with each other]. Why? is that the default?

Firewall is turned on in the DSL modem and for notebook. I also changed
to a different wireless channel.

In the new User, I turned off everything except TCP/IP, and opened only
the port for http and now it works. I assume that the last person who
borrowed the PC didn't have wireless, only ethernet, and reset
everything to defaults. Now I know where to change back to my settings.

There are too many settings in too many places.

Thx.

Betty

May be a multiple of problems.

It is connecting as you are pinging it.

However check the firewall settings. Also how it is setup (wireless.)

I assume you have security turned on for the wireless access point. Remove all previous profiles and try and create a new profile. Check the way it is setup to connect to the Access point (wireless card setup) All of these can be suspect.

Stewart