*Fred,
Save your money.

If you capture a printer port anything printed to LPT1 will go to the printer you desire. I have done it in the past. It is easy to set up.
I found these instructions which look correct, I have not tried it.

http://support.riverdeep.net/techtips_detail.asp?id=156
Windows® 2000/XP*

  1. Log into Windows® as an Administrator.
  2. Click the Start button and choose Run. The Run dialog will appear.
  3. Type |CMD| into the Open field and click the OK button. The
     command prompt window will appear.
  4. Type |NET USE LPT1 \\SERVER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES| and press
     Enter. Replace |server| with the name of the server and |printer|
     with the name of the printer. If necessary, contact the network
     administrator to confirm this information.
  5. Type |EXIT| and press the Enter key. The command prompt window
     will close.
  6. On Windows® 2000, click the Start button, choose Settings, and
     choose Printers. On Windows® XP, click the Start button and choose
     Printers and Faxes.
  7. Click the Add a Printer link. The Add Printer Wizard will appear.
  8. Click the Next button.
  9. Ensure that the Local Printer Connected To This Computer setting
     is selected.
 10. Ensure that the Automatically Detect And Install My Plug-and-Play
     Printer setting is not selected.
 11. Click the Next button to continue.
 12. Choose LPT1 from the Use The Following Port drop-down menu.
 13. Click the Next button to continue.
 14. Choose the printer's manufacturer from the Manufacturer field.
 15. Choose the printer's model from the Printers field.
 16. Click the Next button to continue.
 17. Type the desired name for the printer in the Printer Name field.
 18. Choose Yes when prompted to make this driver the default.
 19. Click the Next button to continue.
 20. Choose whether to share this printer as desired.
 21. Click the Next button to continue.
 22. Click the Next button to print a test page.
 23. Click the Finish button to complete this procedure.
 24. Close any open windows to return to the desktop.
 25. Print from the desired program. The program should print correctly.

See also Microsofts page "*How to print to a network printer from an MS-DOS-based program in Windows XP*"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314499

My google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=capture+lpt1+printer+port&btnG=Google+Search

Mike

Fred Holmes wrote:

Can anyone recommend a particular solution to printing from a DOS legacy
application running in a console box under Windows XP?

The top Google hit is:  http://www.printfil.com/english.htm

I don't mind the price (about $100), but I would like to get the easiest to use, and something that
really works, based on a recommendation from someone that has actually used it for production work.
 I'm not interested in workarounds that take a lot of computer savvy to implement.  I need to set
this up for a "clerk" and not have to be a "help desk."

Thanks,

Fred Holmes