<Yes, some people think I'm their nanny. You can Google on "Microsoft sue
website owner"
just as well as I can. Add the term "Canadian" to your search and the story I
was thinking
of will be your first hit.>

Right. I did Google this, and I came up with the same story. I simply assumed
that it was
the wrong case because you had said something about "a similar situation", and,
other than
that they both involved domain names, this case had no similarity WHATSOEVER to
the iPhone
case.

<Rereading the story in the Guardian I see that I was in error. Microsoft did
not offer
$50. They offered $10 (ten dollars).>

Which was his actual cost. Then, after MS itself heard about what its Canadian
lawyers
were up to, they gave the kid a bunch of other much more valuable stuff.

You also didn't bother to include the quote from the MS rep: "We appreciate
that Mike Rowe
is a young entrepreneur who came up with a creative domain name. We take our
trademark
seriously, but maybe a little too seriously in this case."

This sounds to me like a classic case of legal representatives going overboard.
Noting
that the letter came from MS's Canadian representation, not from Microsoft, I'd
bet good
money that no one at MS even knew about this;

Almost the exact same thing happened to me, years ago. Borland's attorneys sent
me a
letter; I forwarded it to Philippe Kahn, who said, in essence, "Geeze, sorry.
Lawyers, go
figure. I'll fix it." That was the right response, and it seems pretty much the
same as
what MS did.

<Google on "Microsoft sue website owner">

Interesting Google find. MS didn't sue the kid, and the word "sue" appears
nowhere in the
Guardian article.

Tom, there are plenty of real knocks against MS. Why drop silly, inaccurate
stuff like
this into the conversation? It just makes you the Bill O'Reilly of MS bashers.