I think the article is mistaken about the conservatism of IT departments.
(Surely there is misinformation coming sales reps - eg MS - about other
technologies but I think they take advantage of a certain reality and don't
create it.)

That reality is that IT resources, especially user support resources
are a relative and perhaps an absolute constraint on how users can use their
systems.  This is a constant theme in the history of desktop computing and we
have seen the entire retail support industry outsourced to India (!).  So
whether
you have a Mac, Wintel or Linux shop,  de-standardizing has real costs and
the costs can be substantial and they can be hard to predict.  The same thing
can be said of giving the users "freedom."

Adding more configurations and more
technologies, tools to support probably adds to IT resources in a non-linear
manner.  IMHO -Pjm

Steve Rigby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Jul 21, 2007, at 6:05 PM, mike wrote:

> What system are they using where they are tortured or being punished?

   The folks where I work have to use machines running Windows because
of software requirements.  They have problems with those computers, and
spend a fair amount of downtime fixing those problems.  Perhaps the
problems are of their own making at times, but they do appear to find
their computers hard to manage and understand.  They routinely stumble
trying to do the simplest of things, such as display a slideshow of
their photos from a flash memory card.  I'd be willing to bet that I
will only have to show them one time how to do it on the new Mac I
obtained for my place of work and they will have no problems in the
future on that machine.

> On a recent macbreak podcast one of the podcasters said he was
> basically
> afraid of windows because he would have no idea how to protect himself
> from
> all the bad things out there.  I see mac users like this all the time,
> mac
> users that have had it hammered into them from the community that
> windows
> will take down their entire network in seconds, all their data will be
> lost,
> all files corrupted as soon as the machine is booted.

   I agree that the hype is often exaggerated.  All I know is from my
own experiences and that which is shared with me by other folks.  I
have zero problems that I cannot quickly resolve myself, while all the
persons I work with have various problems that they tell me of that
they cannot readily resolve.  I use Macs at home, they use Windows.
That is all that I know.  My girlfriend uses Windows where she works,
and Macs at home.  She is far happier with what she uses at home.  I
just have to take her word on that.

   I have used Windows 98 and up, and I have to say that I find it more
convoluted than the Mac OS, either System 9 or 10.  That is just my
opinion, but that opinion is based upon my personal experiences.

   Steve