We finally got the new Compaq notebook to connect to our Westell DSL modem to use the Internet. The answer is on dslreports.com, might be linked from this or something like it, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14170, or http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?q=a90-327w&action=Go.

Seems that Vista is very picky about connecting to WiFi. The modem/switch, Westell A90-327W is several years old, worked from day 1 with our Macs and never had problems, until we got the Compaq. The Verizon tech in India tried to flash update the modem remotely, but failed [Bob forgot that there was a router with a firewall between his computer and the modem--duh]. I called Verizon again and asked for a Mac tech, requesting the URL for downloading the update [it's http://verizon.net/versalinkupdate]. It's Windows-only, not sure why since the last time I flashed the modem two years ago, it worked from a browser on my Mac [hmmmm, http://images.ucomics.com/comics/nq/2007/nq070824.gif].

Bob did the flash update from his desktop Dell in Windows 2000. He switched to the new Compaq with Vista---it found the WiFi modem and connected to the 'Net.

I wonder if there was a similar problem when we were trying to connect at Caribou Coffee's free WiFi and only the iBook connected, not the Dell.

Betty