To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 3:20 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Grabbing domain names of well-known persons?

>Can I easily and cheaply transfer the name to her?

Yes. Just change the registration info at GoDaddy. But then she has to
keep the registration paid up or it falls into the hands of cyber
vultures. And GoDaddy sales will pounce on her. Signing up an innocent
with GoDaddy is not doing them a favor.

The only reason for possibly not telling her about the name or any site
based on it would be to surprise her with it, as a gift,

Surprise is not such a desirable thing, especially for busy people. Might
be better to break it to her gently. After all, you want a positive
response. Surprise can scramble one's thoughts and lead to poor decision
making/instant rejection.

I don't want to cause this person any hassle or problems or added stress or concerns, which is why I am raising some of these possible concerns here and
will also get advice elsewhere.

Definitely.

she has a University affiliation, and they are being swamped
with calls since the show.  Incidentally, this University (the Med school,
actually) has about the worst, most user-unfriendly website I've ever seen,
which is how I ended up having to call and speak to someone who works with
this women at the school; simply to get basic contact info. for her and one
or two others who work there).

Not uncommon for a university. Expect to find jealous colleagues trying
to sink her.

So you site would solve a real problem for her (but she may not know she
has such a problem). Your story explains the problem and supports your
solution. Rather that focusing on surprise I would focus on explaining
your solution to her. Even if she goes along, it may take her a long time
to realize how important it will be.

A while ago I got a frantic call for assistance from someone who was
going to appear on Good Morning America THE NEXT MORNING. She had a
domain name, but no web site! We got the job done overnight, but it was
stressful.