On 10/19/07, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There were 18 security advisories from Secunia for mac os x so far in
> 2007.
> Seven of these were rated highly critical meaning system level access,
> access to private files etc.  The holes are there.  Not long ago a hole in
> quicktime was exploited in just a few hours when the winner was offered
> 10k
> for doing so.   I wouldn't go as far as saying mac os is less secure then
> windows, I would say it probably is more secure, but it's not some
> impregnable wall as some mac users believe.  Seven critical flaws prove
> that.   Interestingly, Vista had six in the same time period.

1.  The rating is related to the impact *if* the vulnerability were
exploited.
2.  The rating is *not* in any way related to how likely it is to be
exploited or how easy it is to be exploited.
3.  The incident you cite was one where a reward was given to anyone who
could exploit a Mac - no one could for the $10,000 offered.  So they then
changed the rules so that you could have a user download anything they
wanted to the machine and then run it.  Under those new rules, someone
exploited QuickTime.  I agree with you that any system can be exploited if
you have a user download something and then execute it with sufficient
privileges.
4.  If you think about 1 and 2 above, you would wonder why these services
don't rate vulnerabilities by how much of a "real world problem" they are.
This is, in part, because it is much easier to identify what is
theoretically possible than to evaluate the ease of exploitation in the real
world.
5.  One "real world" example of the impact of all these vulnerabilities:
membership in a botnet (which means someone else has enough control over
your computer to make it do what he/she wants, pretty much).  There are,
indeed, Mac, Unix, and Linux computers in botnets today.  But each of those
constitutes well below 1% of all the compromised computers out there.  Using
this "real world" measure (come up with your own, as well), Windows
vulnerabilities are the primary cause of spam and denial-of-service attacks
world wide.  By at least a 100-1 (probably more like 10,000 to 1, but
detailed statistics aren't available), Windows vulnerabilities are more
severe than any other OS on the Internet.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own