mike,

You have some good points.  I went back and did some research.  I will start
with my own summary and add some references at the end.

1.  At CanSecWest, they started with a MacBook connected to an open Wi-Fi
network, but nobody could get through.  Nothing was done to the MacBook but
install the OS and run an Update to get the latest patches.  [Side note -
with a Windows box in the same condition, it would have only taken a few
minutes to get through.]

2.  The relaxed rules allowed a contestant to send in a URL, and a contest
organizer would enter that URL in Safari (go to the web page).  This
resulted in a vulnerability being exploited.  Indeed, the user had to do
nothing but click on a URL to load a web page.  So they awarded the MacBook
to Shane as CNET reported.

3.  The exploit was incredibly tricky and took a full 9 hours to get
working.  It was not a Safari vulnerability as the CNET News.com article
indicated.  It was a vulnerability in a QuickTime for Java library routine (
QtJava.dll) [side note, I find it difficult to believe that  Mac OS X or
Safari actually executes DLL files - but any dynamically linked library
would qualify in my book, as the concept is the same]

see
http://www.matasano.com/log/812/breaking-macbook-vuln-in-quicktime-affects-win32-apple-code/
for some details and discussion.

see http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-07-023.html
for a crisp notice of the vulnerability

4.  From what I can glean from these two sites and a bunch of others I went
through (very few have any actually useful facts), the web page loaded some
malformed QuickTime, which exploited the QuickTime Java library's
insufficient input checking to then do a buffer overflow and execute code on
the MacBook.  The scary side was that it wasn't a Safari problem as first
noted, but impacted QuickTime on Windows and Mac.  You QuickTime users on
Windows should remember having to upgrade this past Spring.  [side note:  I
still have two Windows machines at home my family insists on - the rest are
all Linux]

5.  What was not fully pointed out, and what is difficult to explain in
layman's terms, is that this was a zero-day exploit.  Essentially, that
means that Dino A. Dai Zovi found a bug that no one else had known about and
exploited it.

6.  Those who want to make fun of Mac zealots can read the first Matasano
blog entry on this (I cited a follow up with details in it above):

http://www.matasano.com/log/806/hot-off-the-matasano-sms-queue-cansec-macbook-challenge-won/

CNET News.com was off base, but in their defense, no details were actually
being released, so they had to guess.

My summary at the bottom here was off base, similar to CNET News.com, in
that it was roughly correct but misleading.  The code downloaded by the user
was embedded in malformed QuickTime that was automatically executed by the
browser.  So it wasn't like the user intentionally downloaded code and then
ran it, which is what my statement implied.

On 10/19/07, mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Not true.  From Cnet.
>
> The successful attack on the second and final day of the contest required
> conference organizer to surf to a malicious Web site using Safari on the
> MacBook--a type of attack familiar to Windows users.
>
> Nothing was downloaded to the machine and run, indeed this exact attack is
> probably the most common attack on windows...and apparently not hard to
> exploit on a mac.
>
> Full article:
>
> http://www.news.com/2100-7349_3-6178131.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news
>
> On 10/19/07, John DeCarlo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > 3.  The incident you cite was one where a reward was given to anyone who
> > could exploit a Mac - no one could for the $10,000 offered.  So they
> then
> > changed the rules so that you could have a user download anything they
> > wanted to the machine and then run it.  Under those new rules, someone
> > exploited QuickTime.  I agree with you that any system can be exploited
> if
> > you have a user download something and then execute it with sufficient
> > privileges.

> * New address? From OLD address send: CHANGE COMPUTERGUYS-L YourNewAddress
> * Need more help? Send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> * Messages bearing the header "X-No-Archive: yes" will not be archived

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own