Could be I suppose.  EFI was Intel's baby, don't think it had much to do
with apple but like apple often does, it implemented the improved technology
before anyone else.  Much easier to do when you control the hardware and
software.    EFI was supposed to be also adopted by vista but like most real
items that should have made it into the 32bit version, EFI is only 64bit.

Mike