>Tom's last post cost me some time in research.

You cost me some time too, but it was a labor of love.

>compliance began with Mac OS v10.4.3.  As I believe this is a very recent
>release, my experience has probably been with earlier versions.

No. Current release is 10.4.10, with 10.4.11 expected in a few days. Most
Mac owners auto update so should be current. Even those doing manual
updates should be well past 10.4.3. The only stragglers will be those who
never upgraded to Tiger. I'm not sure which version of Safari they are
stuck at.

>The OP should probably go ahead and start using the Safari 3.x beta.  It
>looks as though it's stable enough for daily use.

Safari 3 beta is working on CSS3 compliance, which nobody has got right
yet.