Both of those are indicating unspecified hardware failures. At this
point, reinstalling the OS is really a last ditch effort; not
particularly likely to solve the problem.

First I'd have the owner reinstall their drivers from the drivers
disk. That includes several like audio, LAN, motherboard, and maybe
video. It's probably all integrated on their driver disk and they'll
be prompted when the cd autoruns. If they don't have the disk these
can all be downloaded.

Try reseating everything you can like RAM, hard drive, pc card, maybe
even USB devices. Stop using any USB sockets that feel bad.

Alas, laptops tend to develop hairline cracks on their circuit boards
from being moved around a lot, and these are very difficult to repair
in a lasting way.