I am not an expert, and I don't have any experience with ACT!, but .NET framework pieces have been truly painful to fix when something goes wrong, such as when some MS security updates for .NET didn't quite work. If nothing else works, you might want to try removing and reinstalling all the .NET components, after backing up everything and doing all the usual cleanups:

Last Resort:
1.  Back up.
2. Clean up (remove temp files and maybe run disk check and/or other utilities). Reboot for good luck.
3.  Run Microsoft Update to see what happens.
<<then if you're sure this is the only way to proceed>>
4. Try to uninstall all .NET components using the Control Panel for adding and removing programs. 5. Download and run the "Uninstall Cleanup Tool" if that didn't work (see Warning 2 below). 6. Run Microsoft Update repeatedly until all pieces of the .NET framework are installed.

Warnings:
1. When I had to do this on a couple of machines, it was painful, ugly, and very time consuming. However, ultimately, it worked. 2. I just checked the MS Knowledge Base, and the use of the Uninstall Cleanup Tool may have changed. When I last used it, after the download and install, it would ask you to select everything you wanted to remove from a long list of MS programs.

I hope a real expert responds, and I hope you find some other way of making things work again. Good luck.

-Andy

Josie Leyman Elias wrote:
Good morning all,

I have a serious problem with my computer and am desperately trying to
prevent a complete wipe of my computer. I recently installed ACT! 2008
over the 2006 version and everything seemed fine. I then uninstalled
ACT!2008 to return to the earlier version. When I tried to reinstall
ACT!2006 it crashed, repeatedly. I called SAGE and the "techsupport"
screwed around on my computer for a while and then told me they could do
no more and I needed to call Microsoft to fix it. Because of the
"techsupport" I lost access to ALL Office programs and Quickbooks. I
did a restore point to earlier in the day and was able to recover Office
and Quickbooks, but still no ACT!2006 or ACT!2008.

The problem seems to relate to .NET framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0. I can't
remove, install or repair any of the three. 1.1 and 2.0 won't even load
the installation program and 3.0 gets part way through and comes up with
errors. I'm not looking forward to paying Microsoft in addition to what
I've already paid ACT!

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. J

Thanks,

Josie Leyman Elias

Project Manager

Communications-Applied Technology