Thanks for the great recommendations. I ended up at 5-Below today and found the Speck Toughskin for $5, along with a wall power supply and a 12v charger, also $5 each. I'll work on the cable this week. We appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Richard P.

b_ wrote:
You can buy cases online and locally from $1 to >$30, sometimes for the same case--nice ones can be found for <$20. Same for iPod car chargers. Got one at the 5-Below cheapo store, and see them at Target, etc. If your car stereo has an audio input jack, then all you need is an audio cable, minijack male to male, found at Radio Shack, KMart, etc. Plug into car audio jack and iPod headphone jack.

Not iPod ready :-( ?? We have two solutions. One car has both cassette player and CD, so we use a cassette audio adapter. Otherwise we use FM transmitters. Monster iCarPlay devices are excellent--Cavan's was ~$30. iRiver's is OK in my truck. I like my old Arkon because it goes down to 87.4 FM--no interference. There are lots of other brands of better or worse quality. Some devices are chargers/docks/transmitters all in one.

more details:  http://ilounge.com/

This is all great information. I've narrowed it down to the 2nd Gen Nano 8GB which looks like it will do all that is needed. As far as accessories go, where is the best place to get them? The Apple Store offers the Belkin case online: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=2C26E916&nplm=TL349LL/A

The car/stereo connector cable, will any cable do or is it special to Apple. Apple wants $20 for it.
Also, is the Apple Care Protection plan recommended?
Downloaded the iTunes last night so I'm ready there.