I think the trend is towards using off the shelf specialized database programs and systems and not to hire someone to create a custom DB. It's the natural effect of having created a lot of code over the years and an increasingly specialized world.

You might try to get on with one of the big vendors that support business with their DB and doc management systems.

db

Arnold Kee wrote:
Hello all:
Happy New Year to you.

For probably nine years I've been developing MS Access databases (without
formal training) and have had success when I was the only one needing the DB.
The problem I'm finding as I mature as a coder is that few people outside of my
bubble actually use or own Access.  Or, they are often using a much earlier
version.  After a business fiasco late last year spending considerable time
developing something that crashed and burned because of profound
incompatibility, I've had it!  What made this experience especially poignant
was the fact that the intended users were employees at scientific and
technology companies.  In the development stage I thought--these folks must
have Access.
Admittedly, had I developed the sophistication required to use the significant Access Deployment tools, I may have had more success. And, I probably should have conducted a survey of the intended users before development. But really, I think I need to use a new platform.

I have a fundamental understanding of data modeling, but I'm not a computer
scientist.  I'm much more of a hobbyist - having tooled around for years
back-ending myself into VB and SQL code to automate key functions of an MS
Access DB.
What would you do if you were in my position--that is, having a good sense of
how to solve business problems with databases, capable of using rudimentary
visual basic and SQL, have some page layout skills to create pleasant
interfaces, but need to work with a platform that's more universal?
Oracle is too expensive and too proprietary
I tried to get in to Postgresql (sp?) but it was taking too long for me to
generate enough momentum to get to escape velocity.
Filemaker (for the MAC) seems like it only works on MAC computers

The answer is probably much easier than I realize, but again, I'm really more of a
hobbyist than a true Computer Scientist, heck, I majored in Political Science.  And yet,
if I shared some of the code that I've developed over the years, you'll see that I can at
least "wield the weapon".

All comments welcome.
Thanks, Arnold