If Device Manager won't tell you what driver it thinks it is using, then you
might use device manager to un-install the USB ports, re-boot, and let the boot
process see truly "new" hardware rather than what it likely sees as "old"
hardware for which the device driver is either missing or unspecified.

Maybe you need to do a system repair from the Win XP product disc?

This is one good reason to purchase (download) "DriverGuide Tookit" (Google
it).  It will store a separate record of all of your drivers, and the drivers
themselves in a separate folder on your hard drive.  Then keep a backup of that
folder on removable (and removed) media.  (I am sure there are competitors to
this product, but I tried this one first and liked it.

Fred Holmes