For tracking investments, a spreadsheet and a web query would be as simple
and straight forward a tool for your needs that there is.

As for researching stocks, you might want to read "Beating the Street"  or
"Learn to Earn" both by Peter Lynch. Those books contain a lot of insight
into managing investments.

Or you can take the lazy man's approach and invest a set amount at regular
intervals in a stock index fund.