Yes but the phone companies must be willing to invest in the hardware and many local/piecemeal phone systems won't do it.

I live less than 2 miles from my switch (As the bird flies closer to 1 mile) and they could not deliver 6mps with reliability, and had to cut it back to 1.5.

Our cable system can deliver 6 mps with better reliability than the phone company can that is sad.

Stewart