Since it's possible to get +20Mbps DSL speeds on copper lines in east Asia, why can't US providers give anything close to that on copper instead of pushing FIOS? FIOS requires installing all new lines, while converting DSL to VDSL depends on computers at the source and updating local switches. It's possible for FIOS to provide up to 40Gbps [as enjoyed by Sigbritt Löthberg, from Karlstad in central Sweden in an experimental setup], with switches that can be as far as 2000 km apart, yet here in the US, FIOS--and cable--is not only slow as a slug by comparison, it's too expensive.

My husband thinks our slow DSL has 'hitchhikers' across the street, so I added WPA encryption. That helped a little, judging from speed tests that still show 1/2 the speed we pay for. Main problem was getting his Vista peecee to find the network and allow him to log in. Will report whether rewiring to the outside box with new enet cable improves speed.

BTW, I just got this month's Verizon bill. They gave me another free month of DSL because I requested a price adjustment due to their new pricing model. My DSL plus phone is cheaper than dry-loop. Searching online and reading about account choices in the phone book makes a big difference in charges and fees.

Betty

>That wasn't my short experience with AT&T DSL. I started out paying >for the highest speed they offered and tested it several times a day >for a week. I never got the higher speed but the lowest speed I got >was the 'top' of the next level down so I called and switched to the >lower cost service since the highest speed for t hat was what I'd >been getting. Suddenly my speed dropped by half or more and was not >even getting the minimum speed advertised for that level.

As I wrote earlier, you may have had a marginal line and they should have turned you down for service. Alternatively, you may look good on paper, but have just one loose connection somewhere in your local loop. That is all it takes to make the whole thing work poorly.

The phone company, especially in the early days, was not very good at troubleshooting. They gave themselves a black eye.

Bad management is bad management. Good engineering is good engineering. Either one can negate the other.