Most of this article seems pretty reasonable. I don't think, however, that
the overall theme of "MS is frightened of this, only MS Research knows what
it's doing" accurately reflects what we know (or think we know). Three
points:

1. "Singularity is not the next Windows" simply states the obvious. It's
research. It doesn't mean that MS will never make use of the work done on
Singularity.

2. The article doesn't mention Midori at all. Nobody outside of MSR seems to
know exactly what it is, or what the plans for it are, but apparently it
isn't Singularity. Mary-Jo Foley says that it's a "derivative of Singularity
... which could end up seeing the light of day somewhere down the line", and
"[I]t's a new Microsoft operating-system platform that supposedly supersedes
Windows. Midori is in incubation, which means it is a little closer to
market than most Microsoft Research projects...."

3. The note from Veghte strikes me as nothing more than a reassurance to its
biggest customers: You are not going to suffer through any big problems when
Win7 is introduced because it's built from Vista, so any investments you've
made in Vista will continue to pay off with Win7.

<Here is a quote that supports what Mike said about developers going crazy
over the thought of a complete windows rewrite: ...>

If Mike accurately conveyed the essence of the podcast, that wasn't what was
reported. It wasn't the Windows developers who went crazy, it was the
Singularity developers, and they went crazy when word leaked that they were
at work on the next Windows.

I suspect that the OS developers at MS would indeed go crazy over the
thought of a complete Windows rewrite, but not in the way you mean.  Knowing
developers (as I do, very well indeed), I'd be stunned if there was a single
OS coder in all of MS who wouldn't LEAP at the opportunity to write a new OS
from scratch.

Chris