>SP3 might be listed as a critical update - I'd pass on installing that
>in looking for a remedy for this problem.

Running a major update on a malfunctioning computer can make matters
worse because installers assume they are patching a computer that is
working properly. Most posts cursing MS or Apple for a bad updater that
killed their computer are due to people running an update on a computer
that was not working properly.

Updating a driver that you believe is corrupt is okay. Running a service
pack is not okay.