Yes, I could spend a lot of time looking at photos linked on Google maps. And yes I am aware of the limited zoom levels in "less interesting" areas. Have you ever heard of the Wunderground weather site? They've got a pretty cool app going with google maps. You might enjoy it.
http://tinyurl.com/6dfvlk
I like the way they present the weather, another obsession since I'm outside a lot, and they charge $5/year to show you their site without ads. Yes, I know Firefox and Seamonkey and other browsers can block most ads, but I do this anyway.

Jordan