At 08:16 PM 8/3/2008, Rev. Stewart Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You have a problem with organized religion.

What problem is that, Stewart? Please enlighten me. I happen to ADORE both the free exercise and establishment clauses of the First Amendment.

Your right and my right to disagree with you.

What, specifically, are you disagreeing with? I don't understand this sentence at all.

The problem arises when I try and force you to follow my opinion or live by it. It is also a problem when you try and make me live by your opinion.

I agree, as a general proposition. I have no intention to "make [you] live by [my] opinion." I haven't tried to make you live by my opinion.

All societies set their own morals/ethics by majority opinion.

No, they don't. Morals, as I said, are always, and exclusively, held by individuals, regardless of what the majority thinks or wants. And sometimes ethics are determined by external realities, and may be highly contextual, again, having nothing to do with the will of the majority. In other instances, what is acceptable ethically is approved of by only a distinct minority, but it is permitted because of other factors. Like the law, for example. The "majority opinion" in this country is that Jesus died to redeem your sins, and it may be the "majority opinion" that everybody act in accordance with that article of religious faith. But our laws prohibit that "majority opinion" being translated into that kind of behavior. Other times, what is desirable behavior by the majority is horribly and inexcusably unethical: Just because an overwhelming majority of Alabamians wanted Rosa Parks to sit in the back of the bus, that didn't make it ethical to put her there. The civil rights struggle was basically requiring majorities to deal with the idea that they DIDN'T decide what was "moral" and what was "ethical." Or, in another view, that what they understood to be a majority, was just the local picture, and the REAL majority was the country seen or taken as a whole. And, there, in that context, the local racist and segregationist behaviors that had, for centuries, been understood as perfectly acceptable, were now not just unethical, but criminal, to boot.

Our federal government is supposed to reflect that choice by the laws it passes. This is not always the case and people may disagree with it.

I disagree with the "supposed to" part. They have a number of democratic ideals, and a number of constitutional provisions, to answer to, so, and THOSE take precedence over the opinion of the majority.

You can have your set of morals/ethics by which you operate by which is OK. The problem will arise when you try and force your morals/ethics upon someone who disagrees with you. I cannot force you to live by my ethics/morals anymore than you can force me to live by yours.

You misunderstand, Stewart. Morals are strictly subjective, and strictly individual, and can't be shared. Therefore, it isn't possible for someone to force his morals on you. What he can do, however, is attempt the unethical act (in a democracy, anyway) of getting the state to require you to behave as he, personally, wants you to behave (as if you were practicing HIS religion, for example). However, whatever your outward behavior, he doesn't control, nor is it possible for him ever to control, the nature of the relationship you have with yourself, which is where your morals are, if they even exist.

And whatever ethics there are in the society are those to which you have already, more or less, signed on to, anyway, so there's no need for me to force you to do anything. We see ourselves as part of the same society, the same ethos, because we share so many of the same ethical standards. You behave ethically because you are an ethical person.

     You ARE an ethical person, aren't you, Stewart?

As for your last comment it happens in all institutions.

I couldn't agree more. People who live in glass houses, though, is what I was thinking.

I can only account for myself, not others just as I would expect you to account for yourself and what you do.

You are entirely right about this. In this culture, in this ethos, we understand ourselves to be ethical when we take responsibility for ourselves. To the extent that we have a duty to behave ethically when we deal with others in this culture, in this ethos, Stewart is responsible for Stewart, and Bob is responsible for Bob. I don't need to mind your business or run your life, and you don't need to control mine.

     You nailed it, Rev.

               Bob

Jaco Pastorius: "Bo be boo bop doo bay."

OK
End