Thank you for the detailed information.

Here is the info:
My computer: ipaddress 192.168.1.3; subnet mask 255.255.255.0; default gateway 192.168.1.1
Daughter's computer ipaddress 192.168.1.2;  other addresses same.

Looking at ZoneAlarm Log Viewer on my computer, each instance is either my computer trying to connect to my daughter's computer thru ports 139 or 138, or daughter's computer trying to connect to my computer on ports 138 or 445. There are also a few pings received from daughter's computer. All are shown to have medium or high risk, but the explanation message says that there is nothing to worry about. I have added one instance to the trusted zone in an attempt to eliminate the messages.

The Internet Zone security is set to high, the trusted zone security is set to medium.

Daughter plays games on the web, so I ran both Spybot & Lavasoft on her computer and removed several hundred items found. Don't know if any of these were dangerous nor that any of them was causing the ZoneAlarm message. Both our computers have AVG and ZoneAlarm.

db wrote:
A router typically only provides a NAT firewall... the most rudimentary type of firewall ... one that is not difficult to get around. Creating a layered defense by also using a software firewall on your computer is accepted best practice.

NetBIOS provides windows file and printer sharing services but can be used for exploits. It could be that your other computer has been compromised and is "recruiting"

You can learn more about the messages by bringing up ZA's control panel and going to: Alert and Logs/ Log Viewer/ and click on one of the logged alerts and then click on "More info" and then each of the 4 tabs offered there: Overview, Technical Info, Details and Hacker ID. Zone Alarm is particularly good at explaining things if you use these tools.

Compare that info with what you learned about your computer's IP addresses by doing the suggested Run/ cmd / ipconfig on all of your computers and you should have more of an idea of what is going on.

I'll be curious to know what you find out...

Also let us know what level of defense your Zone Alarm is set for the "Internet Zone" and the "Trusted Zone"

db

Tom Piwowar wrote:
Why are you using a software firewall behind a router? That sounds like "belt and suspenders" to me.

A software firewall is used when you don't trust others who are on your side of the hardware firewall to have good computer hygiene.

*