> Phone lines aren't grounded.
>
> This is a very good summary of the issues and a few partial solutions:
> http://www.epanorama.net/documents/surge/telesurge.html

The lightning/thunder I'm talking about are not close-by.  Most of the
time they are quite far (~5-10 seconds between lightning and thunder).
Said another way, _every_time_ there is a small thunder storm that
passes through I-270/495 area, my DSL modem resets multiple times.  I
was just wondering (a) if this is normal operation, ie: do others see
this often and (b) do surge protectors (electrical and phone combo surge
protectors) help with this?

I _always_ have several SSH sessions open to remote machines, so perhaps
I notice this more often than others because I see that the ssh sessions
have died.  Those who do streaming audio/video a lot would see these
disconnects too.  (And, that's what annoyed me the most the other day.
I woke up at 3am to watch a cricket match from halfway around the world
and the silly modem kept resetting.  Always a "last mile" problem. Aargh!)

I'm wondering if the (unshielded) 40ft of cat-5 cable outside my house
is somehow amplifying the problem.  I guess, I should put tin foil
around the cable.  <grin>

> Note that none of the protectors are foolproof, if a common mode
> surge of some magnitude occurs it can still fry any device connected
> to the phone line.  Your best bet is to unplug the phone line if you
> hear thunder.

Seriously, how many people unplug their phone line _every_time_ they
hear thunder?