>I'm so frustrated with my "new" computer that I could scream.  I know you
>must talk about this all the time.  New computer - VISTA - and I feel like I
>am living in the dark ages.  Everything takes forever to do and I get a lot
>of (not responding ) at the top of the screen while the computer is
>thinking.  I try to ride it out - have no choice -  please help.

How long have you had this computer?

If it starts out bad it will probably continue to be bad. The best thing
for you to do is to return it for a refund. Then buy something different.

BTW, this is not Tom being anti Vista. I have told people to return bad
Macs for a refund. If a new computer of any kind is not working well it
is not something you want to keep around. Tracking down and fixing a
manufacturing defect can take a long time. Dealing with tech support is
very time consuming.