I would keep it simple, and not use RAID.  Most people don't understand
it; especially where the risks of data loss are.  At the low end, the
risks of data loss are high for those who do not know a LOT about RAID.
Personally, assuming this is important data, I like serial SCSI, SAS.
SAS disk drives are almost always enterprise-class drives (more
reliable).  I would add a SAS card and connect it to an external 1.5 TB
SAS drive.  I might add a cheaper SATA drive (SAS controllers can do
both) for older stuff.  I would still use the tape backup.

Thank you,

Mark Snyder