> Yes, I guess that is the point.  You run less risk of losing your
> backup data stored with a reliable online vendor than you do if you depend
on
> your own RAID/ Drobo device.

If your budget can swing it, you should have the following for complete
protection:

1. Shadow copies
2. Disk-disk backup
3. Disk to tape/hard drive for offsite/disaster recovery
4. Online data replication (or whatever you are using for storage)
5. Redundant/failover servers (for high availability applications)
6. Redundant sites for business continuity

On the Google case cited, I remember how Google wrote their own OS for the
server farms way back when.  I don't know if this is still the case, but
it's another example of how Google does business is not necessarily a
template for the rest of the world.

Likewise, my own home seems sorely lacking compared to the homes I see on
"Cribs."  Should I emulate rappers on how I furnish my home?  I don't have
enough bottles of Cristal in my fridge if that's the case.