> The public-private partnerships that created satellite communications
> were necessary advancements that couldn't have been done at the time
> [or now] by private corporations. Same for Arpanet and the Internet. Same
> for the monopolies that exist in cable and telco broadband that allow
> them to set rates based on whatever they can get away with instead of
> letting the market determine rates with competition, or providing
> quality broadband service [and choice] without gouging the customers,
> as it is today.

Man.  That's some military-grade RDF.  I see you still haven't connected the
dots as to why there is no significant competition in broadband in the first
place.  Oh well.

The above is completely speculative and without any grounding in fact.
*Couldn't* have been done without federal funding and *wasn't* done are 2
different things.  To suggest that nothing BIG can't be done without guvmint
money is a view divorced from reality. And to conveniently forget to mention
that a good deal of what you list was done in the interest of countering the
Soviets during the cold war is shifty at best.  The military-industrial
complex, which I doubt you are a terrific fan of, is at the core of all of
that.

Many very big things are done, every day, without a drop of guvmint funds.
You simply choose to ignore them, as you do the massive waste that occurs as
a result of constituent fluffing, something slimy old pols such as Robert
Byrd and Ted Steven like to brag about to the folks back home.  I suppose
the Fed-driven housing bubble was a good thing too.

It's the child-like views about government you display is as to why our
country is trillions of dollars in debt, and are deeply indebted to powers
that I would rather not have so much leverage over us, such as China and
Saudi Arabia.  You show no criteria for discriminating between easily
justifiable funding, such as epidemic control and infectious disease
research (you know, the kind where they _don't_ kill you on purpose), and
throwing tax money willy-nilly at privately-owned broadband oligopolies
because your youtube videos are choppy.  As long as one can make the most
tenuous of arguments that it will "add to our economic security," you'd
throw the treasury doors wide open.

What *wouldn't* you fund?  Wait!  I know.  Subsidized timber for church
pews.