On UUNET accounts it is very easy.

With a user name and password once it hits it limit you turn off the account until it recycles.

With a standard ISP account it is not so easy unless you require them to log in every time they access the account.

I have a cable account with Charter. They monitor my activity by the MAC on my cable modem. If I change out modems, I have to let them know so they can program the new MAC into their system to allow connectivity.

Secondly this cap is on all activity not just UUNET. Every web site, and every email etc. So if you got large attachments (not possible but suppose) this could also push you over the limit. Watch too many movies from TIVO same thing. (More realistic. I see there is a box now where you can download movies from TIVO and watch them on your TV.)

I personally think it is overkill, and they are going about it the the wrong way.

This reminds of the letters I used tog et from my old dialup ISP which sold see unlimited usage telling me I was staying connected to long. (I had a separate line which my modem used and I just left it connected.)

They are selling this so I expect some folks will go out and find new ISP's.

Stewart