So, I wrote to Comcast today to let them know that this LONG time Comcast customer was going to have serious issues with their bandwidth limit because I would be backing up many hundreds of GB's of data to an online service and that was perfectly legal to do. Was I going to be 'punished' by being banned for a year if I exceeded the limit several months in a row while I was backing up? Here is the answer I got from them....and it was patently obvious he wasn't answering my question/concerns at all. And , yes, I have responded to them.

        From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Web Form Submission: General Inquiry (KMM32912222V93103L0KM)
        Date:   September 16, 2008 3:25:39 PM EDT
        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your message concerning the Comcast High-Speed Internet
service.  My name is Jordea, I will be glad to assist you today.

We maintain an Acceptable Use Policy as part of our high-speed Internet service. The policy describes what constitutes unacceptable conduct and
use of the service, including requirements regarding data usage. We?ve
had our Acceptable Use policy in place for years and the policy itself
remains the same. The only thing that is changing is now we?re going to
provide a specific number (250 GB) for what would qualify as excessive
use.

We?ve been evaluating a monthly data usage threshold for quite some time
and we?ve heard from customers that they would like us to provide a
specific number for excessive use.  Excessive users consume
substantially more data than typical residential users?only less than 1% of customers use excessive amount of data today. It?s important to keep
in mind that that the vast majority of customers don?t fall into the
excessive use category. To learn more about excessive use, you can go to our FAQs page at http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Frequently- Asked-Questions-about-Excessive-Use

The 250 GB monthly threshold will begin October 1, 2008.

You will continue to get the same amount of speed you?ve been getting.

Keep in mind that only a very small number of customers actually reach
250 GB in a month today. As part of our pre-existing policy, we will
continue to contact the top users of our high-speed Internet service and
ask them to curb their usage.

A typical residential high-speed Internet user doesn?t even come close
to using that amount of data. To put it in perspective, currently, the
median data usage by our high-speed customers is approximately 2 - 3 GB each month. 250 GB falls more into the excessive use category?going well
above and beyond typical Internet usage.

To reach 250 GB in a month, for example, a customer would have to do any
of the following:

Send 50 million emails (at 0.05 KB/email)
Download 62,500 songs (at 4MB/song)
Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo)

There are a number of online tools you can use to measure your data
consumption. You can find such tools by simply doing a Web search ? for
example, you can search ?bandwidth meter? to locate some options.

If you use multiple computers in your home, you should make sure to
measure and combine their monthly data usage to get an accurate read of
total data consumption for your entire account.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.  We value your business.

Sincerely,

Jordea
Comcast Online Customer Support

Paula/IN/USA