I wonder if hibernation problems have to do with the on-board,
always-on, anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall software? The WinXP Pro
system that is used on a VPN here, where all the protections reside on
the corporate server has no problems with hibernation. The local PC
systems which have the protective software loaded internally seem to
have intermittent issues with hibernation. Just personal observation
without data to back it up.

Richard P.