Laptop IBM x31 upgraded a while ago to: WD WD1200VE 120gb drive 5400rpm 8mb
cache ...chose this over 7200 because of possibility of excessive heat...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Wright [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: better

I will wager on hard drive rotational velocity and disk cache size.  The
difference in performance between a 4200 RPM and a 5400 RPM system, or 5400
to 7200 RPM system, is significant.  Most older drives have a 2 MB cache.

I'm using a circa 2001 Dell Latitude C600 P3-750 laptop (512 MB RAM running
XP) at home with an upgraded 7200 RPM drive (8 MB cache) and it is fast
enough for my needs.  I wouldn't use it with a slower drive in it.