The Switch is powered by an external 12v transformer, if that fails and sends 110 down the thin 12volt carrying wire that little wire will vaporize. I would assume that 110 at high amperage would also toast a Cat5e cable. Its not the voltage that kills its the current. I snipped a live 110 wire in half (thought the circuit was dead) and the short caused by the tool vaporised part of the steel on the tool. I can imagine what it would do to a thin Cat5e wire.

As far as the trench, code only requires the low voltage cable to be down 8"-12", I watched Comcast subcontractors install a line in my yard, it was high tech. One under paid ethnic worker with shovel spreading the soil apart, the other pushing the cable in the ground and stepping on the sod to close the wedge created by the shovel. Probably 6 inches deep at best. So get grey water pipe as was suggested (10cents afoot) and bury the pipe, run the cable through and you have a connection at minimal cost and you get some exercise using the latest high tech trenching device.

Mike

db wrote:
No, my understanding is that the ground code is not directed at lightning strikes but at preventing your data cable from becoming the functional internal ground loop instantly carrying a LOT of current if one of the two normal ground paths of the separate power/ground sources become disabled by mishap ...

The code is meant to create a failsafe non dangerous design for when things go wrong... My understanding is minimal... an electrician or electrical engineer would know the answer to this...

db

Tom Piwowar wrote:
Technically you may be running afoul of electrical grounding building code when you do this if you are using a cable to connect electrically powered devices that are being powered from different breaker boxes/ grounds.

So you may need to add isolators. What do those cost?

*Mike Drabick
HDH Construction Consultants, Inc
200 Harry S. Truman Parkway
Suite 220