You are incorrect. In my own case, my tax records for years are kept
in My Documents, and are imaged along with my whole C partition. The
most paranoid only need two drives - swap them every month, and keep
one off the premises. These drives are cheap these days, so I agree
nobody should only have one backup drive.

Optical media is still good for archiving the big stuff, but until I
can fit my C drive on one disk again, hard drives are just lots
_easier_.