The question is not more tax, but proportionality of tax.

As far as I know, most economists, and statisticians have shown that Sales tax is mostly regressive.

Those at the lower end of the income spectrum pay a higher percentage of their income in sales tax than higher income folks.

Especially in the state of Alabama, lower incomes have a tendency to much more of their income in tax.

Property tax here is a joke at best. Renters have to pay more of their income for rent (which includes a much higher property tax rate (nearly double) ) then home owners. Our property taxes are based on a convoluted system but it means we pay only a portion of the true value of property. Most huge landholders in this state pay a small tax on their property.

Not all states are equal in how they treat low income folks.

When I lived in Wisconsin (which did not tax food and whose income tax rates were not bad) I even got an earned income credit from them in some years when I got the earned income credit from the feds.

There property taxes were fairly straight forward, and high. I saw a couple of the property tax bills of my farmers and they paid a lot of tax for farm fields.

Stewart