Been a while since I spent much time on it so I can't recall the specific references. I will see what I can find in my library as time permits. All are in the general class of hard science fiction essayists (i.e. they right fiction, but also right non-fiction on the underpinnings of their fictional works).

I can give you some examples from memory though.

Fission - expensive now, but the theoretical knowledge is already out there for more efficient designs that are safer still. The worry about waste products is a stalking horse for anti nuclear scare groups. We don't have to keep it around for 10,000 years. We have to keep it around for 100 year, 200 year max, maybe much less. Why? Because by that time we will have the technology to at a minimum toss it into the sun. More likely to recycle it for some productive use. Any prediction that assumes no material advance in capabilities that are only in degree, not in kind is belied by the history of the human race.

Solar Power collection - expensive now, but it will get much, much, cheaper. It will get cheaper still in orbit which solves the current problem of waste heat - space is the great heat sync (ok, technically it is not, but you can radiate waste heat there all you want). Power can be beamed down to receptors in suitable places with little impact.

Hydrogen fuel - we have no shortage of sea water. Using focused solar or nuclear power we can crack sea water and get what we need for portable power generation. Right now it is not cheap enough, but it will become so.

None of these have notable heat producing effects on a global climactic scale.

The real challenge is consumption efficiency - can we avoid waste heat from all this plentiful energy. I am not up on the current science in that regard, but what I understand is that if it becomes a problem we will have to be producing a lot more power than we project for the next 50 years.

Matthew

On Feb 14, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Elaine Zablocki wrote:

At 07:57 AM 2/14/2009, Matthew Taylor wrote:
>Right - eventually, if most non-dystopian futurists are correct,
energy will be something we hardly think of at all due to its
plentiful on demand nature.  How we get there is the issue.

Could you please give names, references, something I could read? I haven't read anyone who says "energy will be something we hardly think of at all due to its plentiful on demand nature." If there are intelligent people who think that could be a possibility, that would sure cheer me up.
(Plentiful energy that doesn't increase global warming??)

Recently I've been remembering an early Robert Heinlein story ... I bet lots of folks on this list know it... the one where they discover a way to capture energy from the sun at no or very little cost... (and fight big companies that don't want this information made public) ... the usual Heinlein interplay between a smart scientist guy and an equally smart wise-cracking woman... I can't recall the name of the story, or find it on my shelves.

But I find myself remembering it these days, and thinking "if that is ever going to become a reality, now would be a real good time."