You probably need a fair number of amps to drive speakers to a reasonable
volume.

There's probably a good reason portable mp3 players don't usually come with
them (maybe the really big ones could handle this).

I think you need a boom box into which you can plug the output from an mp3
player, like what new automotive sound systems generally come with.

Also, I don't know much specific about Coby mp3 players, but when I've seen
that brand name on line, it seems to me it has usually been associated with
what I would suspect are cheap products (way too much advertised capability,
given the price).