>passive gas heaters

Tell us more. I Googled the term and got just 1 hit (in French).

We have two propane heaters--no electricity, no natural gas lines. Glow-Warm 18,000 BTU, Comfort Glow 15,000 BTU. Can be vented or unvented. Ours are unvented since they're so small and low-power. Both have a mechanical spark or pilot can be lit with a match. No fan needed, but we have ceiling fans that blow upward in the winter [heating] and downward in the summer [cooling]. http://www.comfortheaters.com/
http://www.gwheaters.com/

You could also use a wood, pellet or corn-burning stove without electricity, a hurricane lantern, and a windup radio, cell phone charger, laptop.