No - I am saying, as one with decades professionally in and out of academic environments, that the overwhelming majority of classroom settings are inhospitable to both the physical profile and battery life of a 17 inch laptop. A smaller laptop that will actually fit on a standard class chair/desk, especially one in a lecture hall, is a vastly superior choice for what you will be doing in a classroom setting. Back at home or dorm where there is more room you can get an even bigger monitor and an actual real keyboard with numeric keypad for whatever the need is. The best of both worlds.

Thus, by first rationally analyzing the problem, you end up with a better solution. In this case it could be PC or Mac depending on the software needed.

Matthew