> In the ad, the mom is out with her son, shopping
> for a gaming computer for what appears to be maybe
> a thirteen/fourteen year old.  Her budget is $1,500.
> Is this the norm these days for expenditures on the
> whims of children?

I don't think it's the "norm", especially in this economy, but there has
been some very interesting research reported lately about some beneficial
effects of gaming. There was a study not long ago that demonstrated
significantly improved hand-eye coordination and such, another one that
showed enhanced problem-solving ability, and now this:

http://tinyurl.com/dx5hut

Of course, this was followed up a month or so later by a report that some
kids are addicted, literally, to video games. Parents have been saying this
for a long time, but it's now official: 8.5% of kids in a psychological
survey showed multiple signs of behavioral addiction.